American Language Program

Visa Tips (pdf)

Student Testimonials

Tammy Nguyen

"What I learned at ALP helped me be successful in the MBA program at Cal State Fullerton and I will graduate next semester. ALP helped me with more than English.
-Tammy Nguyen, Vietnam

View student video


The International Student Services office will issue an I-20 form for international students to apply for a F-1 student visa. The helpful staff will answer your questions.

How to Apply for your Student Visa

Student Visa
  • Send in your American Language Program application to California State University, Fullerton
  • Wait to receive the I-20 and acceptance letter from the International Student Services office
  • Pay the SEVIS fee online
  • Make an appointment to visit the United States Embassy or Consulate. An appointment can be scheduled by telephone, mail, over the internet, or in person, depending on the circumstances in your country. Be sure to ask what fees are required and how they can be paid. Application fees are non-refundable.
  • Pay the visa application fee

Each embassy has different requirements, and slightly different versions of the application forms. Some embassies require the forms to be filled out in English with one copy in your own language. For a complete list of embassies and consulates, please visit

Bring the following items to your embassy/consulate appointment

  • Your passport - must be valid for at least 6 months after your proposed date of entry into the US.
  • Financial evidence showing you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during your visit.
  • Completed visa application forms DS-156, DS-158. Some applicants will also need to complete form DS-157.
  • An I-20 form and acceptance letter.
  • One (1) 2 X 2 photograph for each person applying.
  • Receipt for SEVIS fee.
  • A receipt for visa processing fee
  • Transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions attended.
  • Scores from standardized tests required by the educational institution such as the TOEFL, SAT, GRE, GMAT, etc.

In addition to the above requirements you are advised to present documentation and other evidence establishing social, economic, and other ties that would compel your departure from the U.S. after a temporary and lawful stay.

For more information, please contact us at:
International Student Services Office, CP-207
California State University, Fullerton
2600 E. Nutwood Ave.
Fullerton, CA 92831, U.S.A.
Tel: (657) 278-2909
Fax: (657) 278-7114